How to Become a Student at BSLC
- Opt out of the traditional education model. If school doesn't work for you, you're in good company. School didn't work for some of the greatest minds in history. It's a free country, so try something different. In order to leave school legally, you must register with your local school district as a home schooled student, and we can help you through this process.
- Become a member of Bay State Learning Center. We cooperate with our members to help them get the education they want, not to impose the education someone else thinks they should have. New students and parents meet with a BSLC staff member who will help to devise an education plan that meets the student’s needs and interests. As experienced educators, the BSLC staff can help with this process by problem solving, brainstorming, and discussing the student's interests and strengths. We can help the student to make the necessary connections to intern, apprentice, audit college courses, or work with many our volunteers and work-study assistants.
- At BSLC we hope to be able to serve students from all economic backgrounds. We are a non-profit institution and committed to fund raising projects to help provide financial aid for students in need.
- Regardless of your level of membership you will be paired with a staff mentor. Staff mentors will meet with students once a week to help students to reach their goals. Whatever it is the student wants to learn about, research, build, grow, or make, your mentor will help you plan it and help you get the resources you need to make it happen. College admissions help is available and encouraged. We work with college admissions officers to facilitate college planning for students who want to pursue higher education.
- Participation in the BSLC community is important. At BSLC we have a once weekly center meeting; this is the only part of center life that is required. We try to come to consensus about as many things as we can, but we have a democratic process for making big decisions. We believe that students should have experience participating in a democratic community. We also think that in a self-directed learning environment everyone should have a say in decisions that affect the whole community. This is the only part of the learning process at BSLC that is mandatory.
Becoming a Member is easy! There are no deadlines to join or tests to take! Just complete the following steps:
1. Read through our website to see if we might be right for you.
2. Come to a monthly information session or weekly Tuesday open house. (During the summer months we are happy to schedule an information session and tour by appointment. Please contact Marjorie@baystatelearning.org to schedule a time.)
3. Call to schedule a meeting with our Executive Director, George Popham - 617-817-1823.
4. Complete the New Member Packet found below.
There are a limited numnber of spaces for new students. Completeing the packet is not necessarily a guarantee of admission.
To Download a New Member Packet, click here.